Photo, Erik Putz.
This chocolate cake recipe is our homage to McCain’s Deep ‘n Delicious cake. We used a piping bag fitted with a star tip to get the frosting just right, but you can also slather the frosting on and add sprinkles, we won’t tell.
1 3/4 cups
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 tsp
4 1/2 cups
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Spray a 9 x 13-in. baking pan and line with parchment up the length of 2 sides.
- WHISK flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- WHISK eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Whisk in hot water. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE until a cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, about 30 min. Let cake cool in pan on a rack for 30 min. Place rack on top of cake, then invert and remove baking pan and parchment. Cool completely, about 30 min. Invert onto serving platter.
- STIR icing sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl. Beat butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer on medium-high, until fluffy. Reduce speed to medium-low and add icing sugar mixture, alternating with milk and ending with icing sugar mixture, until combined. Spread on chocolate cake and sprinkle with candy.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 44 g,
- 12 g,
- 2 g,
- 194 mg.