Copyright by Curtis Stone. All rights reserved.
Curtis Stone’s Sticky Toffee Pudding CakeBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 5 min
6 to 8
A sticky-sweet cake that doubles up on toffee for completely irresistible results.
- 1 1/2 cups dates , pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter , soften, plus extra for brushing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs , beaten to blend
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- To make toffee cake: In medium bowl, mix dates and baking soda. Pour 1 1/4 cups boiling water over dates and stir to mix. Let dates soak for 4 hours. Generously coat 6x6x3-in. square pan or 8-in. round cake pan with butter and refrigerate.
- In small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. In bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat sugar and 6 tbsp butter on medium speed, scraping down sides as needed, for 2 mins, or until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until blended. Reduce speed to low, mix in flour mixture and then date mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Wrap pan tightly with plastic wrap.
- Place Air Fry/Steam Plate inside Frying Basket of Curtis Stone Air Fryer Steamer. Place wrapped pan onto plate.
- Select Steam mode and steam pudding for 2 hrs, or until a tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean and cake springs back gently when pressed. It will be necessary to reset timer and refill water tank after first hour. Carefully transfer hot pan to cooling rack. Remove plastic wrap and invert cake onto a cake plate.
- Meanwhile, to make toffee sauce and serve: In large heavy saucepan, bring cream, milk, sugar, butter, and salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes, or until sauce has reduced by half and has a deep tan colour. Remove from heat.
- Serve cake warm with toffee sauce.