Coconut parfaitsBy Chatelaine
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 400-mL can coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/3 cup shaved white chocolate
- 1/3 cup toasted flaked coconut
- WHISK milk, egg, yolk and cornstarch in a large bowl until smooth. Heat coconut milk, shredded coconut, sugar and salt in a saucepan set over medium, stirring until sugar dissolves and bubbles start to form around the sides of the pan, about 5 min. Whisk constantly while slowly adding one-third of hot coconut mixture to milk mixture. Pour milk mixture back into the pot and set over medium.
- BRING to a gentle boil, whisking constantly until thickened, about 2 min. Remove from heat, then stir in vanilla. Pour custard back into the bowl. Place plastic wrap directly onto custard to prevent skin forming and chill until set, about 2 hours or overnight.
- TOPPINGS: Beat cream and icing sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high until soft peaks form, about 3 min. To serve, scoop custard into serving dishes. Top with whipped cream, white chocolate shavings and toasted coconut flakes.