Classic peach cobbler
* PLUS 20 min cooling time
Photo, Erik Putz.
This fresh-from-the-oven cobbler, loaded with juicy cooked fruit and topped with flaky golden biscuits takes us right back to Grandma's house.
, cut 1 in. thick (8 to 10 medium)
1 1/2 cups
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Place an 8 × 8-in. square baking dish on a baking sheet.
- FILLING: Toss peaches, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, nutmeg and salt in the baking dish.
- BISCUIT: Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir milk and butter in a small bowl with a fork, then stir into flour mixture until just combined. Dollop large spoonfuls of batter over fruit, flattening them slightly but without covering all the peaches.
- BAKE until topping is golden and fruit is bubbling, about 1 hr, covering with foil after 45 min if biscuit is browning too quickly. Let cool 20 min, then serve warm.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 52 g,
- 8 g,
- 3 g,
- 236 mg.
- Gently lift the middle biscuit to check that topping is cooked through.
- The biscuit will absorb the juices from the fruit as it cools. A cobbler is best enjoyed warm and juicy, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.