Updated Sep 4, 2019Chatelaine
packed brown sugar
cold unsalted butter
Granny Smith apples, peeled, cut into 1/2-in.-thick, 1 1/2-in.-long slices (8 cups)
- PREHEAT oven to 375F.
- TOPPING: Stir flour, oats, brown sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp cinnamon in a bowl. Grate in butter and work in, using fingertips, until crumbly with some sandy texture remaining. Refrigerate.
- FILLING: Toss apples, granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl. Transfer to an 8-in. baking dish or pan.
- SPRINKLE topping evenly over apples. Bake until top is golden and juices are bubbling around edges, about 30 min. Let cool for 2 hr. Serve ice cream on the side of apple crisp with oats.
Classic Apple Crisp With Oats Kitchen Tips
- You can make crisps crumbly by working the butter into the flour mixture to create larger crumbles. For a lighter texture, work the cold butter into the flour mixture until it has a sandy texture.
- We like to cut the apples into 1/2-in.-thick slices, then cut them in half so they’re 1 1/2 in. long. This size prevents gaps when filling the baking dish and promotes even cooking.
NutritionCalories 284, Protein 3 g, Carbohydrates 43 g, Fat 12 g, Fibre 3 g, Sodium 220 mg.
Chatelaine Basics: How To Peel And Core An Apple