Banana-caramel cream pieBy Chatelaine
1 h 30 min
Creamy, with hits of caramel and crunchy chocolate toffee, this over-the-top banana cream pie is nothing short of spectacular.
- 1 1/2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp 35% cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 ripe medium bananas , sliced
- 1 1/2 cups 3.25% milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 44-g bar chocolate covered sponge toffee , such as Crunchie, broken into small pieces
- STIR cookie crumbs with 1/2 cup melted butter in a medium bowl until combined. Press mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate.
- MELT 1 tbsp butter in a medium frying pan over medium-high. Add brown sugar, 2 tbsp 35% cream and 1/8 tsp salt. Boil gently, whisking often, 1 min. Remove from heat and let stand 1 min. Stir in bananas, then arrange over crust in an even layer.
- HEAT milk in a medium saucepan over medium-high, just until bubbles form on the surface, about 5 min. Whisk 3 tbsp sugar with cornstarch and yolks in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk in half of hot milk until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan and set over medium. Whisk often until pudding thickens, about 2 min. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and 1/8 tsp salt. Scrape over banana layer, smoothing top. Refrigerate until pudding is set, 1 hour.
- BEAT 1 cup 35% cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, 2 to 3 min. Beat in 2 tsp sugar until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 more min. Spoon whipped cream over centre of pie. Sprinkle banana cream pie with sponge toffee.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 40 g,
- 32 g,
- 2 g,
- 233 mg.