Baked Alaska with marshmallow frostingBy Chatelaine
This '70s dessert is back baby! The classic combo of cake, ice cream and a pillowy igloo of meringue looks awfully impressive.
- 2 cups softened ice cream
- 4 slices pound cake , 1/2 in. thick, cut into 3-in. rounds
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- LINE 4 muffin cups with plastic wrap. Fill each with ½ cup ice cream and top with cake. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze at least 3 hours.
- WHISK egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt in a large metal bowl set over a large pot with 1 in. of simmering water until sugar dissolves, about 3 min. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high over water, until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 7 min. Remove from heat. Beat in vanilla.
- REMOVE frozen ice cream from muffin tins and discard plastic wrap. Place, cake-side down, on baking sheet and spread with frosting. Toast frosting using a blowtorch, or broil 5 in. from element until dark golden, 1 to 2 min. Serve immediately.
Chatelaine Quickies: Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
[bc_video video_id=”5034007284001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 94 g,
- 16 g,
- 325 mg.