- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted cashews
- 1 cup finely chopped candied pineapple
- 1/2 cup sweetened desiccated coconut
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Lightly butter or spray an 8-in. square baking dish. In a small bowl, stir flour with salt. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter with sugar for 1 min. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture. (If you don’t have a mixer, use a wooden spoon. Beat butter with sugar for 2 min. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture, pineapple and cashews into dough. Turn into prepared baking dish and smooth the top as best you can.
- BAKE in centre of oven until top is deep golden and bars come away from sides of pan, 30 to 35 min. Sprinkle with coconut for the last 10 min of baking. Remove dish to a rack to cool slightly.
- WHILE still warm, cut into 16 squares or 32 bars. Store in an airtight container between layers of waxed paper at room temperature. They will keep well for 3 days or freeze up to 2 months.