Chicken With Mole VerdeBy Chatelaine
This colourful dish features juicy chicken leg and a spicy sauce made from the perfect blend of green veggies.
- 1 820-mL can whole tomatillos , drained
- 1 medium sweet onion , coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapenos , seeded and chopped
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 skin-on chicken leg , quarters (about 1 kg)
- 1 tbsp Tex-Mex-Inspired Spice Blend , (see Kitchen tip for recipe)
- 1 large zucchini , chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas
- Combine tomatillos, onion, jalapenos, spinach, cilantro and broth in a blender. Whirl until smooth.
- Heat a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, and then chicken legs, skin-side down. Sprinkle spice blend over chicken. Cook until skin is browned, 5 to 7 min.
- Flip chicken. Pour tomatillo mixture over and around chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced and sauce is thickened, 18 to 20 min. Stir in zucchini; cook for 5 min more.
- Divide chicken and sauce among 4 plates. Sprinkle with pepitas and more cilantro, if desired. Serve with rice, if desired.
Get the Tex-Mex-Inspired Spice Blend recipe.