Kitchen Tip: The whites should be slightly jiggly when removed from the oven, eggs will continue to cook in the hot scones.
Eggs in cheddar sconesBy Chatelaine
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp plus pinch of salt , divided
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 eggs
- PREHEAT oven to 425F, then line a baking sheet with parchment. Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, 1 tsp salt, baking soda and garlic powder in a large bowl. Grate butter into flour mixture, then add cheddar and toss to coat.
- STIR buttermilk into flour mixture with a fork until dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly knead 3 or 4 times and pat together until 1 in. thick.
- USE a 3 1/2-in. round cutter to cut a circle of dough. Leaving larger cutter in place, press a 2 1/4-in. round cutter in the centre to make a ring. Remove dough from centre and repeat with remaining dough. Gather scraps and centres, patting out to 1-in. thickness and cutting until you have 8 rings. Arrange rings 1 in. apart on prepared sheet.
- BAKE until risen and slightly browned, 7 to 8 min. Crack an egg into each ring, season each with a pinch of salt, then continue baking until scones are golden brown and whites of eggs are almost set, 8 to 9 min for soft yolks. Serve warm.
Chatelaine Quickies: Cheddar and onion buttermilk biscuits
[bc_video video_id=”5254036152001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 14 g,
- 28 g,
- 20 g,
- 1 g,
- 567 mg.