1 1/2 tsp
active dry yeast
olive oil, divided
2 1/2 cups
lean ground beef
mint leaves, torn
garlic cloves, grated
1 1/2 tsp
olive oil, (optional)
coarse sea salt, (optional)
sliced red onions, (for garnish)
cocktail tomatoes, cut into wedges (for garnish)
sprigs of parsley, (for garnish)
lemon wedges, (for garnish)
- SPRAY a medium bowl with oil and line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
- STIR warm water, sugar and yeast in a measuring cup. Let stand until slightly frothy, about 10 min. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and add 3 tbsp of the oil. Beat with the paddle attachment on low. Add flour and 1 ½ tsp of the salt until a ragged dough forms, about 1 min.
- REPLACE paddle with dough hook. Knead dough on medium-low for 1 min. Increase speed to medium and knead 5 min. Remove hook, shape dough into a ball and transfer to prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature, until doubled, 45 min.
- WHIRL beef, mint, tomato paste, garlic, sumac, remaining 1 tbsp oil and remaining ½ tsp salt until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- PREHEAT oven to 375F. Beat egg with 1 tsp water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- DIVIDE dough into 4 equal portions, then shape into ovals and let rest 5 min. Cover with a light kitchen towel. Roll out 2 portions into 15 by 6-in ovals, ⅛” thick, on a lightly floured surface. Place on prepared sheets.
- SPREAD 1 one-quarter of beef mixture with fingers on first oval, leaving a 1-in. border. Brush border with egg wash, then over and pinch ends to create a boat-shaped bread. Brush egg wash over edges and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat with second dough and meat portions, then bake both breads until crust is golden, 15 to 18 min. Brush crust with more olive oil if desired and sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Top with red onion, tomatoes, parsley and lemon. Kitchen Tip: For a vegetarian version, roughly chop 3 cups packed baby spinach and sprinkle evenly over rolled dough, leaving a 1-in. border. Combine ½ cup feta with 1 grated garlic clove and 2 tbsp minced parsley in a small bowl, then sprinkle evenly over spinach. Continue with recipe.
Tiles in photo, Mettro.
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 17 g
Fibre 2 g
Sodium 648 mg
Excellent source of vitamin B12
Baking School: How to make quick breads