Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
quick-rise instant yeast, about 2 1/2 tsp
2 3/4 cups
warm water, about 110F
9 1/2 cups
- Combine yeast with 1 tsp granulated sugar and 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl. Let stand until frothy, about 10 min.
- Stir 9 cups flour with remaining sugar and salt in a very large bowl. Form a well in the centre. Whisk egg with oil and remaining 2 1/2 cups warm water in a medium bowl. Pour yeast mixture into the well, followed by egg mixture. Stir to combine both mixtures, gradually pulling the flour mixture into the centre. Continue mixing with your hands until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Use half of remaining flour to dust counter. Transfer dough onto counter and knead until smooth, 10 to 15 min. Keep dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Let stand in a warm place until it doubles in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheetswith parchment. Set aside. Sprinkle remaining flour on counter. Punch down dough, then divide into 2 equal portions. Roll each portion into a rope about 30 in. long. Starting at 1 end, coil each rope around itself, tucking the other end under the bottom. (It will look like a beehive.) Place each loaf on a prepared sheet. Cover with a clean tea towel and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 350F. Stir egg yolk with 1 tbsp water in a small bowl. Brush tops of loaves with egg mixture. Sprinkle generously with brown sugar and pat surface.
- Bake in lower third of oven,1 loaf at a time, until golden brown, 35 to 40 min. (Each loaf should sound hollow when tapped lightly.) Transfer to a rack to cool.