The Dare to Wear Love Gala is a fashion runway event like no other. It’s not only the highlight of the Dare to Wear Love campaign and Toronto Fashion Week, but it’s notable for its thoughtful originality. The event’s founders, Chris Tyrell and Jim Searle of Toronto-based Hoax Couture, give 25 top Canadian fashion designers six yards of African fabric from which to produce a one-of-a-kind ensemble. The resulting creations are then modeled at the gala by supermodels, dancers, musicians, and other Canadian personalities, as well as winners of the Dare to Wear Love Challenge. The Gala raises funds to support the Stephen Lewis Foundation in its fight to turn the tide of AIDS in Africa.
Here are five reasons Chatelaine loves Dare to Wear Love and why you should too!
1. Fashion for a Good Cause: The Dare to Wear Love Gala supports the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s mission to turn the tide against AIDS in Africa by supporting grassroots organizations in the hardest hit countries.
2. Oh, Canada: Dare to Wear Love features 25 Canadian designers coming together to highlight their talents and support a good cause.
3. More Bang for your Buck: for a reasonably-priced ticket ($75), you get access to the Dare to Wear Love Runway Event and a one-year subscription to FLARE magazine.
4. Project Creativity: The 25 Canadian designers have been challenged to use six yards of African fabric to create their masterpieces!
5. Our very own Editor-in-Chief Jane Francisco will be walking in the show! Jane will join the likes of Canadian-Somali model Yasmin Warsame, Cityline’s Tracey Moore, eTalk’s Tanya Kim, CityTV’s Melanie Ng and The Bachelor’s Brad Smith in strutting their stuff on the catwalk at this year’s event.