1. Find a look. Before starting, gather all your decorating items together so you know what you’re working with. Choose a colour scheme or a decorative element like a pattern, to hold everything together.
2. Put those sconces to work. Wall-mounted lights are the perfect place to string up a ribbon and display your holiday cards. If you don’t have sconces, use adhesive hooks that can be removed once the celebrations are over.
3. Mix it up. For long-lasting greenery, drape a faux garland over your mantelpiece, adding a few pieces of real evergreen throughout. It will look and smell like the real thing without all the fuss.
4. Make it personal. Individualize your stockings by giving each family member a style of his or her own — just make sure they all have something in common, like material, size or colour.
5. Don’t forget the hearth. If you have a non-working fireplace, consider filling it with ornaments, candles or even wrapped presents. A whimsical touch is a great conversation starter during the holidays.
6. Decorate with heirlooms. The holidays are often a time of family gathering, so pull out some of your favourite pieces like vintage ornaments or antique candlesticks.
Make your mantle shine with these modern holiday accessories: