Dress up your mantel with decorations that are both beautiful and functional. These wax-dipped pine cones make excellent kindling — they catch a flame quickly and burn evenly.
- Melt wax in a double boiler. Be resourceful and use leftover candle ends, if you’ve got some.
- Remove the wax from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- With tongs, dip each pine cone until coated, turning them as necessary.
- Stand each one upright on a piece of waxed paper to cool.
- Repeat the coating process until a thick layer of wax is built up.
- Once dry, your wax-dipped pine cones are ready for display.
For a beautiful wintry arrangement, group your pretty fire starters with candlesticks, mercury-glass ornaments and evergreen branches dipped in wax. These lovely items also make a great hostess gift, gathered in a clear gift bag and tied with a ribbon.