Heading to the gym with friends is one of my favourite things. Whether it’s for a group class or just to brave the weight room together, it’s wonderful to have a wing-woman or two by your side. When I used to row in a team of eight, we’d go to our local gym to cross-train, lifting weights, swimming and running laps around the track. This is a playlist of power songs from the strongest women I know.
The St. Hilda’s College First VIIIs rowing team playlist:
1. Bulletproof by La Roux: “This song is great for a session on the rowing machine,” says Jess H.
2. The Tea (The Layabouts Main Vocal Mix) by Choklate: “Anything with great drums and bass gets me going,” says Laura.
3. Pump It by The Black Eyed Peas: “Every time the chorus comes on, I mentally substitute the word ‘louder’ with ‘harder’ and take my workout up a notch,” says Jess L.
4. Mr. Saxobeat by Alexandra Stan: “This makes me think of all our fun sessions together on the ergs,” says Justa.
5. Like, OMG Baby by DJ Earworm: “The mash-up is a perfect mix of all the songs I love from the radio,” says Jess L.
6. Dog Days Are Over by Florence and the Machine: “There’s a moment when it seems to have finished, and then the song starts up again. It’s really good for giving you an extra burst of energy,” says Kate.
7. Hey, Soul Sister by Train: “It always brings out a massive smile,” says Jess H.
8. Stronger by Kayne West: “Not only does it give me the best of both worlds – the electronic groove of Daft Punk and the hip-hop lyricism of Kayne – but it really keeps me motivated,” says Jess L.
9. Snow (Hey Oh) by Red Hot Chili Peppers: “It reminds me of long, balmy summer evenings with friends, even when I’m out running in the wind and rain,” says Jess H.
10. Party In the U.S.A by Miley Cyrus: “Yes, it’s sugary-sweet, but this song is always on my workout playlist for its sentimental value: it was our team’s victory song after a year of rowing together.”