“I love salads to be filled with lots of vegetables rather than lots of lettuce. I add Boston lettuce to this one for its buttery flavour and wonderful silkiness, but otherwise I stick to beautiful robust green vegetables. The peas and asparagus — bright green, warm, and sweet — will stand out, complemented by the avocado’s creaminess, the dill’s freshness, and the feta’s saltiness.” -Lynn Crawford
½ cup (125 mL) sugar snap peas
4 spears asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
1 baby cucumber, sliced
1 small zucchini, cut in ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1 head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
2 green onions, sliced
1 small avocado, peeled and cut in wedges
2 sprigs dill, coarsely chopped
2 oz (55 g) feta cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper
1. Half fill a medium saucepan with cold salted water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Add snap peas and boil for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking process and set colour.
3. Boil asparagus for 1 minute, then transfer to ice water. When cooled, drain peas and asparagus on paper towels.
4. In a large bowl, gently toss together peas, asparagus, cucumber, zucchini, lettuce, green onions, avocado, dill, and feta.
5. Add dressing (recipe below) and toss until salad is well coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Pistachio lemon vinaigrette
¼ cup (60 mL) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
1 shallot, minced
½ cup (125 mL) vegetable or canola oil
¼ cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped pistachios
Salt and pepper
1. Whisk together lemon juice, mustard, sugar, and shallot until well combined.
2. Slowly whisk in vegetable oil and olive oil until emulsified.
3. Stir in pistachios and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer vinaigrette to a container, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Makes 1¼ cups (300 mL). Click here for Lynn’s quinoa salad with roasted squash, cashews and gouda.
From At Home with Lynn Crawford by Lynn Crawford. Copyright Lynn Crawford, 2013. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Group (Canada), a Division of Pearson Canada Inc. To pre-order a copy of At Home with Lynn Crawford, visit Chapters or Amazon.