Sigh…I’ve had that pre-vacation feeling for weeks now. As in, I am feeling it in my bones that my body and soul need a break. And so as I head out on this year’s staycation (we’ve already spent time in Belgium, the Netherlands and Jamaica this year, so this is a low-key holiday), I wanted to put together a list of things to do on my vacation that will bring a smile to my face.
1. Run with my husband: Sounds off for a vacation, I know. But the two of us love to run and are currently training for races. That said, with two small kids, we never actually get to hit the pavement together anymore because one of us is always home with the kids right. Except on vacation, when grandparents are around. Sure, that might mean we do a 10K run at 10pm, once we’ve put the kiddies down, but we’re okay with that because we get to do it together.
2. Go to an amusement park: Centreville? Canada’s Wonderland? Marineland? Not sure yet — but we do know sometime in the next two weeks we’ll pack a backpack of snacks, sunscreen and water to carry around as we tackle some Ferris wheels, tilt-a-whirls, smaller roller coasters and more. And forget sitting on the sidelines — we’re the kind of parents who tussle over who gets to take the first rollercoaster ride with the kids.
3. Hang at a beach: We don’t know which beach yet, but I’m pretty sure we’re going to be sitting in the sand watching the kids run in and out of water, eat sandy sandwiches and chips, have our legs buried in the sand and build some funky sandcastles.
4. Read. Read. Read: It’s a rarity right now that I get to actually take time to read a book. But a stack awaits — will it be Ami McKay’s The Birth House? Mark Bowden’s Black Hawk Down? We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver? Choices, choices…
5. Dive in: For a long time my kids weren’t crazy about swimming, but now they’re always begging to go. And after discovering a lovely pool near my home that’s free and open daily, I’m ready to jump in to get that carefree feeling that swimming can bring.
6. Spend time with my family: That’s a given. We’re all separated throughout the day — my husband and I both work and our kids are in camp and daycare. And while we do lots on the weekend and on every night together, be it heading to a soccer game or a park, I miss them and can’t wait for two uninterrupted weeks of family time.
7. Watch movies: For the hubby and I, season three of Breaking Bad is out…okay, not a movie, but you get the point. And with the kids, we’re cinema-bound to take in the new Cars 2 movie or Kung Fu Panda 2. Before we had children, my husband and I went to the movies almost weekly, so we’re happy to now share that fun with our kids when we can.
8. Eat ice cream: Nothing more needs to be said, does it?
Want more happiness news? Follow me on Twitter @AstridVanDenB