( 64 ratings )
- Total time:
- 4 hours 16 minutes
- Prep time:
- 10 minutes
- 11 cups (2.75 L)
- 450 g pkg dried split green peas
- 900-mL carton chicken broth or 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 3 celery stalks, thickly sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- smoked pork hock, about 1 lb (500 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chipotle Tabasco (optional)
Imagine coming home to a big batch of heartwarming pea soup, without turning on the stove. Now that’s a comforting thought! Just pull out the slow cooker and the rest is easy. It’s worth it to use the smoked pork hock – it adds extra layers of flavour.
- Rinse peas with water. Drain well, then place in the bowl of a slow cooker (or see Stovetop directions, below). Pour in broth and water. Stir in celery, carrots, onion, Italian seasoning and bay leaves. Add pork hock.
- Cover and cook until pork is tender and falling off the bone, 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Discard bay leaves. Place pork on a cutting board. Remove and discard skin, fat and bones. Cut meat into chunky pieces.
- To thicken soup, whirl one-third in a food processor, then return to slow cooker. Add pork and stir to evenly mix. Taste and stir in Tabasco. Soup will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until peas and pork are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Continue with recipe as above.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 16.1 g
- 1.7 g
- 28.9 g
- 4.4 g
- 2.1 mg
- 39 mg
- 619 mg
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.