( 4 ratings )
- Cooking time:
- 20 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 15 minutes
- 3 to 4 servings
- 1 onion
- Vegetable oil
- 19- oz (540- mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 4 to 6 roasted sausages (see below)
- 19- oz (540- mL) can white kidney beans
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) coarsely chopped cilantro or parsley
Precooked sausages slash the prep time of this comforting stew.
- Finely chop onion. Coat a large saucepan with oil and set over medium heat. Add onion and stir occasionally until it starts to soften, about 3 min. Meanwhile, drain tomatoes. Add tomatoes to onion along with garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Increase heat to medium-high. Boil, uncovered, stirring often, until reduced by half, about 8 min.
- Slice sausage into thirds (if frozen, defrost in microwave first) and stir into tomato mixture. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally until sausages are hot, 7 to 10 min. Rinse and drain beans, then add. Stir often until hot, about 2 min. Mix in cilantro. Have crusty bread on hand to sop up the sauce.
MEAL #3 – Express sausage sub
Heat 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) pasta sauce in a saucepan. Slice 3 to 4 roasted sausages into thick rounds and stir in. Slice 3 submarine rolls or large buns in half. Spread sausage mixture over bottom of buns. Add sliced hot peppers and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Top with spinach or arugula leaves. Makes 3 hearty sandwiches.
This is meal #2 of big batch recipes. Refer to the recipe for Roasted sausage dinner for instructions.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 23 g
- 16 g
- 26 g
- 82 mg
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.