- BOIL 4 cups water in a large pot. Add beets, lemon juice and salt. Cook, covered, for 7 min.
- ADD apples along with horseradish, nutmeg and coriander. Continue cooking, covered, until beets and apples are tender, about 10 more min.
- REMOVE from heat. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 min.
- POUR into blender. Add mayo, then whirl until smooth. Pour into a large container and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- SERVE with sour cream and fresh parsley.
Recipe submitted by Maryalice Wood, Langly.
Growing up on a farm in northern BC (which has the perfect soil for producing root vegetables), meant that turnips, beets, and potatoes were often on our plates. My first taste of bold and spicy borscht was at a friend’s table, and holds wonderful memories of an explosion of flavours over my young taste buds! Over the years, I have come to relish appetizing cold soups and beets are an especially wonderful, colorful base.
Issue: November 2013
Posted: Updated Mar 4, 2015
Photo credit: Chilled beet and apple soup recipe Photo by Roberto Caruso