FOR CANDIED PECANS:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Have a 9-in. pie plate at the ready.
- Stir gingersnap crumbs with butter in a medium bowl until moist. Press crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of pie plate. Bake in centre of oven, covered with foil, for 10 min.
- Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl. Add pumpkin, coconut milk, brown sugar and spices. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Pour filling over warm crust. Smooth top.
- Bake in centre of oven, covered with foil for 30 min. Remove foil and continue baking until filling is slightly jiggly in the centre, about 20 more min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Toast pecans in a medium non-stick frying pan set over medium for 3 min. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp granulated sugar. Stir constantly until sugar is melted and pecans are shiny, 3 to 5 more min. Transfer to prepared baking sheet to cool.
- Preheat broiler. Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar with 1/4 cup water and cream of tartar in a medium saucepan and set over medium-high. Simmer until sugar is dissolved and mixture turns syrupy. Remove from heat. Beat egg whites on high in the bowl of a stand mixer, until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 min. Slowly pour hot syrup in a stream down the side of the bowl, beating until stiff peaks form, about 2 more min.
- Spread meringue on pumpkin pie to the edges, leaving a high mound in the centre. Using the back of a spoon, form swirls on meringue.
- Broil meringue in centre of oven, rotating every 30 sec, until peaks turn golden brown, 2 to 3 min. Let cool. Garnish with pecans. Serve warm or cold.
To make gingersnap crumbs, whirl gingersnaps in a food processor until crumbly.
Homemade Pumpkin Purée:
Preheat oven to 400F. Cut each pumpkin into quarters. Scoop out and discard seeds. Roast pieces in a large baking dish, covered with foil, in centre of preheated oven until fork-tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh from skins. Whirl in a food processor until very smooth.