chicken wings, and drumettes, separated with tips intact
1 1/2 tsp
1 1/4 tsp
scant 1/2 cup
1 1/2 tsp
gochugaru, (Korean hot pepper flakes)
oil, for deep-frying
- PLACE chicken pieces in an extra-large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Refrigerate for 30 min.
- SAUCE: Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 sec. Stir in ketchup, corn syrup, gochujang and vinegar. Cook until bubbly. Remove from heat.
- POUR enough oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot, preferably a dutch oven, to reach 1 1/2 in. up the sides. Clip a deep-fry thermometer to side of pot and heat over medium to reach 350F. .
- WHISK flour, potato starch, rice flour, baking soda and gochukaru in a bowl. Sprinkle flour mixture over chicken and rub mixture chicken into all crevices.
- WHISK eggs and water in a bowl and pour over chicken. Toss immediately with 2 large spoons, stirring and tossing until all flour mixture is absorbed into chicken (you want to see craggly bits). Transfer to a baking sheet and separate pieces.
- PREHEAT oven to 250F. Place a baking sheet on centre rack. Add chicken to oil-filled pot, 8 to 10 pieces at a time. Fry, turning, until golden and crispy, about 4 min. Drain on a rack placed over a baking tray. Fry again until dark brown and very crispy, 5 to 7 min. Transfer chicken to rack and sprinkle with salt. Place on baking sheet in oven to keep warm.
- DRIZZLE some of the hot gochujang sauce on chicken, in batches, in a large bowl and toss lightly to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and repeat with remaining chicken and sauce.
Chatelaine Quickies: Buffalo cauliflower