- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 200F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 3 min. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 min. Beat in peppermint extract.
- Fit a piping bag with a #7 round tip. Rest piping bag, tip down, in a tall drinking glass. Fold the top edges of the bag halfway down around the outside of the glass. Paint alternate red and green stripes inside tip and piping bag with a skewer or fine-tipped decorating brush.
- Fill painted bag with meringue. Pipe 1-in. kisses about 2 in. apart on prepared sheets.
- Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until meringues are firm and dry to the touch, but not browned, 60-70 min. Transfer sheets to a wire rack to cool completely. Meringues will keep well in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 1 week. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
Gel food colouring works best and will not seep into the meringue mixture.
Fine-tipped decorating brushes can be purchased at Bulk Barn or baking supply stores. Wash and dry after using. Keep them for other baking projects.
Carbohydrates 2 g
Sodium 2 mg