- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Spray two 8 × 8-in. metal baking pans with oil and line each with overhanging parchment.
- ROAST hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet until golden, 8 to 10 min. Pour hot hazelnuts onto a clean kitchen towel. Wrap around hazelnuts and rub until skin flakes off, then coarsely chop.
- STIR flour with chopped hazelnuts, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT butter with sugar in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, until smooth, 1 min. Gradually stir in half of flour mixture, until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture, kneading with your hands, until dough forms a ball.
- DIVIDE dough in half. Press a portion of dough evenly into each prepared pan. Using a fork, prick dough all over.
- BAKE in centre of oven until golden, 28 to 30 min. Cool completely on a rack, about 1 hour. Remove shortbread from pans to a cutting board, then cut each into 16 bars.
Chatelaine Cookies: Shortbreads