Welcome to Chatelaine: The Big Dish! Launched in 2017, The Big Dish is an annual event meant to celebrate the innovative, gutsy and creative women in the world of Canadian food. Our inaugural event in 2017 was a smash success, and we are excited to be back for year two. On Monday, November 12, we’ll bring together industry-leading chefs, producers, farmers, entrepreneurs, writers, and food lovers of all stripes for a day of big learning, big laughs and big inspiration.
Our mandate for the event is summed up in three words: Teach, Tell and Transform. Through a mix of keynotes, Q&As, workshops and panel discussions, speakers will share the valuable, hard-won lessons they’ve learned throughout their careers, tell their remarkable stories, and leave attendees motivated and equipped to transform and ignite their own personal journeys in the food community. In between, there will be plenty of time for connecting over a delicious lunch and drinks.
Chatelaine: The Big Dish takes place on Monday, November 12th, 2018 from 8:30am – 5:00pm at The Symes in Toronto. Check back soon for the full agenda of inspiring speakers and panels.
Featured Keynote Speakers
- 1. What is Chatelaine: The Big Dish?
- Launched in 2017, Chatelaine: The Big Dish is an annual full-day event to celebrate and give a platform to the incredible work and achievements that women are making in the food industry. The 2018 event will be a lively and exhilarating day full of conversations, learning, connections and (of course!) plenty of eating and drinking.
- 2. Why is it important to hold this event?
- The goal of Chatelaine: The Big Dish is to connect women who work in the food community and/ or care passionately about food —whether professionals, aspiring professionals or foodie civilians. We’ll include stories that take us to the farm, into restaurants, retail businesses and tie back to the power of social influencers and savvy consumers.
- 3. Who is it for?
- Chatelaine: The Big Dish is open to anyone interested in getting to know some of the most exciting and innovative women working in food today. It is meant to provide learning and networking opportunities for people working in and following the food community. Are you a farmer? A food manufacturer? A chef? A restauranteur? A food blogger? A sommelier? A food stylist? A person who aspires to do any of the above? A person who simply loves great food and getting to know the people involved in producing it? This day is for you.
- 4. Is the event only for women?
- Absolutely not, anyone can attend. While our speakers and panelists are all women, we look forward to welcoming all voices from the food community.
- 5. Are there any age restrictions?
- Yes. This is an event designed for people aged 19 and up. We will be asking for identification for anyone who appears to be younger.
- 9. Where is The Symes?
- The Symes is located at 150 Symes Rd. in the up-and-coming “Aleyards” region of Toronto’s hip Junction neighbourhood. The nearest major intersection is St. Clair Ave. West and Keele St. There are some parking spots on premises and limited street parking spots near the venue. We encourage all attendees to carpool, take taxis or use public transit (the TTC’s 512 St. Clair streetcar and 41 Keele bus routes stop nearby).
- 10. I know a great panelist/speaker. Can they be a part of the agenda?
- As we work to finalize the agenda for Chatelaine: The Big Dish, we welcome your pitches for speakers and panelists. Please contact program manager Deborah Aarts with your ideas.
150 Symes Rd, York, ON M6N 3T1
We are delighted to be hosting Chatelaine: The Big Dish 2018 at The Symes, a brand-new event venue run by three amazing women: Viviana Kohon, Namita Tandon-Walsh and Caitie Yue. Together, this trio have transformed a 1930s Art Deco facility—originally built for garbage sorting—that had fallen into disrepair into a gorgeous event space that beautifully combines rustic heritage details with modern amenities.