Summer hair should look natural and sexy. Hair stylist to the stars Sally Hershberger and Canadian creative consultant for John Frieda, Alain Larivee, share their tips on how to achieve a flawless summer ‘do.
How to get gorgeous beachy waves
– Start by using a shampoo and conditioner for wavy hair, says Hershberger. They provide plenty of moisture but also support waves.
– Rake a water-based foam, like Sally Hersheberger’s Style Primer for Wavy Hair, through damp hair from the crown down to enhance and define natural waves.
– Then let hair air dry if you have the time and patience or blow dry with a diffuser.
– Call it done there or make it extra mussed and beachy with a moisturizing texture spray.
How to keep hair from getting frizzy in the humidity
– After washing your hair seal the hair cuticle with a frizz-prevention serum, says Larivee. Comb the product through just washed hair. The action of the comb moving from roots to end seals up cuticle and will ensure even distribution of product all over your hair.
– If your curls are the type that need a bit of help Larivee recommends John Frieda’s Spiral Style curl defining spray gel, which will help define and realign natural spirals and curls. Squeeze larger sections of hair together or sculpt hair and let dry naturally.
– A good thing to keep in mind is: the less you touch your hair, the less it will frizz.
– Chlorine (and hot summer sun) can be very damaging to the hair. To give your summer-damaged hair a much-needed pick-me-up try an overnight repair mask to transform and repair dry, damaged and frizzy hair.
Looking to get your hair out of your face? Try these stylish summery options:
– Low ponytails
– Headbands and scarves to accessorize
– Take long daytime hair and put it up in a loose messy French twist or chignon at night
Your skin and makeup
Summer skin needs to be well protected, while warm weather makeup should be both playful and functional. Celebrity makeup artists Chase Aston and Paul Venoit share their foolproof summer beauty tips.
– Although it’s not a rule of thumb, changing your moisturizer from an oil based formula (that adds extra hydration during the drier, colder winter months) to a water base formula in the summer, can help control excessive oil leaving the skin looking fresh and clean, says Venoit.
– If you’re heading to a pool party and still want to wear makeup choose a waterproof foundation layered over waterproof sunscreen. For your eyes, creamy, water resistant, smudge-proof and waterproof formulations of shadow, liner and mascara are best, explains Aston.
– For lips, a stain works well in hot weather. Try The Body Shop Lip & Cheek Stain in Rose Pink or one of CoverGirl’s Outlast lip stains. Layer lip balm with SPF overtop for sun protection.
– If you’ve got oily skin try applying a mattifying day cream before your sunscreen or foundation to avoid mid-day shine, says Aston. It will minimize your pores and keep shine at bay. Facial blotting tissues are also great for touchups.
– Keep all of your makeup application sheer and not too heavy. Eye colours should be smudged just along the lash line for a subtle hint of colour. Keep cheeks fresh and glowing with cheek stain. For your lips, avoid heavy glosses and solid matte hues and textures and opt for lip stains instead.
This summer’s hottest must-have colours
Bright blue and teal, sunny orange and buttery yellow
Focus on bold lips with vibrant shades of rich pink and red
Punchy coral, bright fuchsia and ruby red