Coddle your hands
Biting cold leaves hands dry and red while cuticles get rough and nails peel or snap.
Treat your hands to a weekly home manicure and daily rich moisturizing.
• The Dead Sea salts and essential oils in Dermaglow Miracle Manicure, 40 mL/$14, help exfoliate and soften dry hands.
• Soothe cracked cuticles with Sally Hansen 3-In-1 Cuticle Quencher, 20 g/$7, and then slather on Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, 50 mL/$7.
A snug-fitting cap flattens your ‘do. Factor in low humidity, and you’ll also risk out-of-control flyaways.
Start with the right cut. A one-length blunt cut gives fine hair more weight than razored layers, which flatten easily.
• If your curls are prone to frizzies, keep the ends trimmed and strands well nourished with L’Oréal Curl Vive Curl Moisture Shampoo, 300 mL/$5.
• Spritz dry roots with Pantene Energy Boost Styling Tonic, 150 mL/$6, to add texture and shine to revive your hairstyle during the day.
Add a glow
A pasty complexion looks even worse when you’ve got the winter sniffles.
A self-tanner such as Christian Dior Dior Bronze Golden Self-Tanner Instant Glow Face, 50 mL/$30, gives you a natural healthy radiance.
• Make sure you exfoliate first as dry patches will turn darker. Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleansing Cloths, $12/30 cloths, combine oil-free cleansing and exfoliating in one easy step.
Protect your eyes and skin
Ultraviolet rays can be as damaging on sunny snowy days as steamy summer days—just ask any sunburned skier.
Snow can reflect 80 per cent or more of sunlight. When outdoors, always wear sunscreen.
• Choose a high-SPF broad-spectrum sunscreen such as Ombrelle Cold Weather Defence SPF 25, 50 mL/$15, and sunglasses with 100 per cent UV protection.
• Don’t forget SPF in your daily moisturizer—try Marcelle Multi-Defense Cream SPF 15, 60 mL/$16.
Soothe your heels
A buildup of dead skin cells on your heels is in constant friction with socks, tights and heavy boots. The result: sore cracked heels.
Exfoliating dry skin first with The Healing Garden Spa Theraphy Intensive Body Scrub, 236 mL/$12, will help moisturizers such as The Body Shop Grapeseed Body Butter, 200 mL/$15, penetrate and soften your heels.
• Next, baby your feet by swaddling them in plastic wrap and slipping cotton socks overtop.