I think it is safe for us to declare that bikes are officially the hottest accessory right now. To add to that, it’s an item that we don’t feel guilty about spending a little more on, because it’s practical, good for the environment and good for you.
With gas prices so high, more bikes are zipping through the city than ever, and with the recent addition of Bixi stations across Toronto (finally), more commuters and tourists are opting for the bicylette to transport themselves.
I cannot speak for all, but I have a soft spot for vintage-inspired European city bikes, woven bike baskets and the cute attire that goes with it. It makes me feel like I’m a chic Parisian riding through the City of Lights. Some might disagree and question the practicality of it all and condemn cute bikes and bike accessories as frilly, but not me.
Nonetheless, I am bubbling to share a few bicycle chic picks for when you’re riding around town this summer:
- Helmet: Remember: Safety first! Protect your noggin’ with these stand-out helmets by Nutcase.
- Lock: Bike theft can be the number one concern when it comes to using your bike regularly, so make sure its safe by finding a good parking spot, and invest in a heavy-duty bike lock. Try Kryptonite locks – now, not even Superman could get to it.
- Basket: Finding a chic bag or carryall that’s got style and function (to carry groceries and that won’t hurl you into traffic) can be challenging, so try a handwoven bike basket by Nantucket Bike Baskets.
- Clothing: A sticking point when it comes to bike commuting is what to wear. You don’t always want to change from location to location (work-out wear to work wear) and let’s face it – you always want to look good! Try the yoga jean that’s made by Canadian company Second Denim Co. The jeans are washed in silicone to enhance comfort while keeping the active city girl in mind. Keep the double “C’s” in mind when dressing for riding (no, not Chanel): “C” for comfort and “C” for chic!
- Sunscreen: Don’t forget to lather on that sunscreen even if you want a tan. UV rays lead to skin damage such as colour spots and early signs of aging! We don’t want that. Try: Clarins Sunscreen Care Cream SPF 30 for face and body with natural active ingredients such as soothing aloe and apricot.
- Bike: Looking to get a new city bike? I can’t stop ogling over the classic European-style Public Bikes from San Francisco. All components are customizable in adorable colours and finishing. Equally pretty and Canadian, is Montreal-based Opus Bikes who just launched an adorable urban collection with something for girls, guys and even the little tykes.
P.S. Here is a great opportunity to start biking more! On Monday May 30, 2011, municipalities across Ontario are coordinating events to celebrate a GTHA-wide Bike to Work Day. Join in by riding in Toronto’s group commute to City Hall and get a free t-shirt, and a hot pancake breakfast.