This weekend all of Hollywood will be prepping for the Academy Awards. It’s taken months of planning (and cutting out salt!) for that one fateful walk down the carpet. And if you’re anything like me, this Sunday you’ll be plopped on the couch and glued to the TV to catch the best dressed and most beautiful. Come on, be honest, we wait all year for this.
But just because you’re watching from home (and eating take-out), that doesn’t mean you can’t watch in style. This year I suggest you dress up the occasion a little, and channel one of your favourite all-time Oscar looks. We’ve asked Diana Carreiro, our go-to adviser on all things beauty, for some DYI pointers that are totally glamorous. Our pick: Nicole Kidman, always a style maven, at the 1996 Academy Awards.
Makeup: The trick to this simple yet classic red lip look is to keep the rest of the face neutral.
1. “Sweep a shimmery champagne shadow from lash line to brow bone and line the upper lashes in black. Add lots of mascara to the upper lashes to get a flirty, sexy look.
2. Apply a browny-pink blush to the apples of the cheeks and finish with a bright red lipstick of your choice.
3. For extra glamour, add bit of shimmer to the high-points of the face (cheekbones, centre of forehead & bridge of nose).” Carreiro suggests Mary Kay’s Illuminator #1.
1. “Dry hair upside down to get lift at the root, then finish with a large paddle or round brush to smooth.
2. Apply a small amount of an anti-frizz serum or cream to palms and smooth through hair, gathering it low at the nape of neck.” Carreiro suggests TRESemmé Smooth & Silky Anti-Frizz Secret Créme.
3. “Twist lightly and secure with pins as it begins to twist on itself.”