Fresh pepper and zucchini pasta
Prep 10 min
Total 15 min
4 medium tomatoes
2 red, yellow or orange peppers (preferably a mix)
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
5 tbsp lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 medium zucchini
450-g pkg angel-hair or capellini pasta
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Boil a large pot of water over high. Coarsely chop tomatoes and peppers and place in a very large bowl. Stir in oregano, lemon juice, oil and seasonings. Cut zucchini into quarters lengthwise, then thinly slice and set aside. When water is boiling, add pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 5 min. Add zucchini for the last min. Drain well.
2. Add pasta and zucchini to tomato mixture. Toss to mix evenly. Stir in cheese. Serve sprinkled with more cheese, if desired. Serves 4.
Per serving : 708 calories, 26 g protein, 100 g carbs, 23 g fat, 10 g fibre, 976 mg sodium. Excellent source of folate.
Creamy variation: Sub 130-g goat cheese for parmesan.
Photo by Michael Graydon
Prep 15 min
Total 30 min
3 plum tomatoes
1 sweet pepper, preferably yellow or orange
2 jalapeno peppers
2 large unpeeled garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Slice tomatoes in half and place on a large baking sheet. Core and seed all peppers. Cut sweet pepper into chunky pieces and leave jalapeno peppers uncut. Add peppers to baking sheet along with garlic. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil, then sprinkle with salt and season with fresh pepper. Roast until tomatoes and peppers are tender and garlic is soft, about 15 min. Stir halfway through roasting.
2. Combine cilantro with lime juice and remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large bowl. Coarsely chop roasted tomatoes and sweet pepper, and mince jalapenos. Remove and discard skins from garlic and finely mince. Stir all into lime mixture, then taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Salsa will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days. Makes 2 cups
Per 1/4 cup: 40 calories, 1 g protein, 2 g carbs, 4 g fat, 1 g fibre, 2 mg sodium.
Photo by Yvonne Duivenvoorden
Prep 10 min
Total 1 hour
4 large potatoes, chopped in 1/2-in. cubes
1 small red pepper, chopped in 1/2-in. cubes
1 tsp each paprika and dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne
4 chorizo or Italian sausages, about 500 g
1 cup grated cheddar
2 green onions, sliced diagonally
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly brush a large rimmed baking sheet with oil. Combine potatoes and pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle with paprika, oregano and cayenne. Stir to coat evenly. Transfer to baking sheet. Roast in centre of oven, stirring halfway through, until almost tender, about 40 min.
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high. Slice sausages in half lengthwise and squeeze meat from casings into pan. (You don’t need oil.) Using a fork, stir frequently to keep meat crumbly. Cook until no longer pink, 4 to 6 min.
3. Remove potato mixture from oven. Stir sausage meat and any juices from pan into potato mixture until combined. Sprinkle cheese overtop. Continue roasting until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 more min. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with green onions. Serves 6
Per serving: 619 calories, 28 g protein, 45 g carbs, 36 g fat, 5 g fibre, 1,072 mg sodium.
Photo by James Tse