Go beyond wine and cheese by serving refreshing lychee drinks and savoury scallops from the grill.
1. Puree 1/2 540-mL can lychees with 2/3 cup lychee syrup (from can), 3/4 cup ginger ale, 1/2 cup apple juice, 1/3 cup lychee liqueur (or plain vodka) and 2 tbsp lime juice in a blender until smooth.
2. Add 2 cups ice. Crush until slushy. Garnish with lime wedges and fresh raspberries. Serves 6.
Grilled bacon-wrapped scallops
1. Soak 6 wooden skewers in water for 20 min. Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Rinse 12 large scallops and pat dry.
2. Whisk 2 tbsp hot chili-garlic sauce with 1 tbsp vegetable oil and 2 tsp each grated fresh ginger and honey. Reserve half of chili mixture in a small bowl. Toss scallops with remaining chili mixture. Let stand 10 min.
3. Cook 6 strips bacon in a frying pan over medium, 1 min per side. Drain and cool on paper towels. Cut bacon in half. Roll one piece around each scallop. Thread 2 scallops onto each skewer.
4. Oil grill, then barbecue skewers, lid closed, 3 min. Flip and baste with reserved chili mixture. Grill until scallops are cooked through, 3 to 4 more min. Sprinkle with basil