Makes 12 canapés
Cooking 15 minutes
1/3 lb (150 g) fresh or frozen cranberries
1. In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar and 1/4 cup (50 mL) water. Bring to a boil. After a few minutes, when cranberries have softened but not burst, remove half and set aside. Add vinegar and salt to remaining mixture and boil until jam thickens (about 10 minutes).
2. In the meantime, quarter unpeeled pears lengthwise. Remove core and let pear slices sit in water and lemon juice for a few seconds to prevent discolouration.
3. Place each wedge skin-side down on a cookie sheet. Top with a spoonful of cranberry jam. Broil under preheated broiler for 2 to 3 minutes and remove from oven.
4. Top each wedge with a slice of Bocconcini.
5. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, just until cheese is slightly melted. Do not cook pear.
6. At serving time, top with a few of the reserved cranberries and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Replace Bocconcini with Mini Bocconcini.
- Vary presentation by cutting pears crosswise to create rings about 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick.
- Cranberry jam can be prepared a week ahead. Keep refrigerated and heat slightly in the microwave before assembling canapés.
Tasty and refreshing, Bocconcini a pasta filata cheese that goes perfectly with many dishes. In Italian, its name means “small bites”, which describes perfectly these egg-sized balls.NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 CANAPÉ):
Energy: 113 Cal/475 kJ Protein: 4.3 g Fat: 4.3 g Carbohydrate: 16.3 g Sodium: 37 mg Fibre: 1.5 g Calcium: 70 mgSuggested Wine:
A red Valpolicella, a light and delectable wine from Italy, is a good pairing with its notes of red berries and slightly rounded mouthfeel.