Bacon-wrapped tenderloin with caramelized shallots and cranberry-port jus
Prep 40 min
Total 1 hour 35 min
1/4 cup grainy Dijon mustard
1/4 cup horseradish
750 g shallots, about 25
4 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2-kg filet of beef tenderloin,
9 to 12 slices bacon
1/2 cup port
1/2 cup frozen cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 500F. Set a rack in a roasting pan. Stir mustard with horseradish in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Peel shallots and trim off the roots. Cut larger shallots in half. Place in a medium bowl. Add olive oil, vinegar, sugar and salt. Season with pepper. Toss to coat.
3. Pat meat dry with paper towels. Remove any string around filet. Spread mustard mixture all over meat. Drape bacon over tenderloin in an overlapping criss-cross pattern. Tuck bacon underneath tenderloin so it goes all the way around the beef. Transfer to rack in roasting pan. Add shallots to roasting pan.
4. Roast in centre of oven for 20 min. Stir shallots. Reduce heat to 300F. Continue roasting until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast reads 145F for medium-rare, 40 to 45 more min. Transfer meat to a cutting board and cover with foil. Transfer shallots into a serving dish.
5. Set roasting pan directly over 2 burners on medium-high. Add port and cranberries. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, mashing cranberries when tender, 3 to 5 min. Jus should measure about 2/3 cup. Top mixture off with hot water to make a full cup.
Per serving: 481 calories, 48 g protein, 16 g carbs, 23 g fat, 2 g fibre, 402 mg sodium.