We’re recreating a comfort food classic to suit a gluten-free diet. This warming chicken and dumplings dish gets a makeover with a few extra ingredients to make the steamed dumplings wheat-free. The result? We couldn’t even tell they were gluten-free!
Gluten-Free Chicken and Dumplings
Prep 10 min
Total 40 min
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 227-g pkg sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp gluten-free garlic powder*
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, or 1 tbsp dried dillweed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup white rice flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill*
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill*
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum, such as Bob’s Red Mill*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- MELT butter in a large pot set over medium. Sprinkle both sides of chicken thighs with 1/2 tsp salt. In 2 batches, add to pot and cook until light golden, about 2 min per side. Remove to a plate.
- ADD onion and mushrooms to pot. Cook until onion softens, about 3 min. Sprinkle with garlic powder and dill. Add carrots, celery and bay leaves. Return chicken and any juices to the pot along with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 5 min.
- STIR flours with cornstarch, parsley, baking powder, xanthan gum and 1/4 tsp salt with a fork in a medium bowl until combined. Stir in egg, milk and oil until dough comes together. When chicken has simmered 5 min, drop batter in 8 equal portions over stew. Cover and continue simmering until dough rises and cooks through, 10 to 12 more min. Serve immediately.
Serves 4. Per serving 550 calories, 36 g protein, 49 g carbs, 24 g fat, 5 g fibre, 890 mg sodium.
Shopping tip: Some garlic powders contain wheat flour as an anti-caking agent. Check the ingredient list on your garlic powder to make sure it does not contain any wheat ingredients. Gluten-free flours and ingredients can be purchased at Bulk Barn, health food stores or gluten-free aisles in your grocery store.