We’re craving something sweet, and these rich, buttery dessert bars are it! Perfect for family BBQs and patio dining, these decadent treats disappear almost instantly. (You can also wrap them in wax paper and string, for a cute picnic surprise.) However you decide to have them, one thing’s guaranteed — you’ll be making them again and again!
For this challenge, the lucky winner with the best photo submission will receive three cookbooks! Straight From the Earth, by Myra Goodman & Marea Goodman, The Sobo Cookbook: Recipes from Tofino Restaurant at the End of the Canadian Road, by Lisa Ahier and Andrew Morrison, and Down South: Bourbon, Pork, Gulf Shrimp and Second Helpings of Everything, by Donald Link.
Click here for the contest rules and regulations.
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Spray an 8 × 8-in. baking dish with oil. Line with parchment, with overhanging sides. Stir bourbon with raisins in a bowl. Microwave on high, stirring every min, until bourbon is absorbed, 3 to 4 min.
- WHISK flour with baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk butter with sugars, eggs and corn syrup in a large bowl. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture until no streaks remain. Stir in raisins and 1/2 cup pecans. Scrape into prepared pan. Smooth top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
- BAKE in centre of oven until a tester inserted into centre comes out clean, 30 to 35 min. Cool in pan on a rack.
Kid-friendly tip: Replace bourbon with 1/4 cup water and 1 tsp vanilla.
How to post your pic?
Once you have your photo, you can post it one of four ways (make sure you’re not on a private setting):
- Follow us on Instagram, then post your photo using @ChatelaineKitchen
- Follow us on Twitter, then tweet us your photo with the hashtag #ChatelaineKitchen
- Like us on Facebook, then message us your photo
- Email us your picture at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get your photos posted by Thursday, June 26 at noon to be considered for the club’s gallery the following day, which will be featured with the following week’s recipe.