Our cooking club features one great recipe for the entire month, including a great prize for the best photo entry! So spread the word to all your friends – with nearly a month to enter, fitting a new recipe onto the menu will be a breeze.
September’s challenge: Tres leches coconut cake
This summer, we went crazy for coconut! Cool and creamy, this cake also has rum and vanilla amping up the wonderfully intense flavour. This Latin American cake is traditionally made with three types of milk, and we gave it an extra twist with rich coconut milk. It’s the perfect dessert for the last of summer’s hot evenings (and we speak from experience when we tell you – you won’t be able to stop at one piece).
At the end of the month we’ll select the best photo submission and that lucky winner will receive a Wolfgang Puck Novo Pro Pressure Oven from our friends at The Shopping Channel!
Click here for contest rules and regulations.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 400-mL can coconut milk
- 1/2 300-mL can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp rum (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Spray a metal 8 x 8-in. cake pan with oil. Line bottom with parchment.
- STIR ﬂour with baking powder in a medium bowl.
- BEAT egg whites in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high, until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until whites are glossy and stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, 2 to 3 min. Using same beaters (no need to wash), beat yolks with remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl until pale yellow, 1 to 2 min. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually beat in ﬂour mixture, then milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla, until smooth.
- STIR a third of egg whites into yolk mixture, using a rubber spatula, then carefully fold in remaining egg whites until no streaks remain. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE in centre of oven until springy and a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 min. Cool completely on a rack, about 1 hour.
- WHISK coconut milk with condensed milk, 1 tsp vanilla and rum in a small bowl until combined. Poke top of cake all over with a skewer. Pour half of coconut syrup over cake and let stand 5 min. Run a knife around edges of cake and invert onto a rimmed serving platter. Remove parchment. Poke bottom of cake all over with skewer. Pour remaining syrup all over cake, spooning any excess drippings back onto the cake until it is absorbed, about 5 min. Refrigerate until fully chilled before serving, 1 to 2 hours.
How to post your pic?
Once you have your photo, you can post it one of four ways (make sure you’re not on a private setting):
- Follow us on Instagram, then post your photo using @ChatelaineKitchen
- Follow us on Twitter, then tweet us your photo with the hashtag #ChatelaineKitchen
- Like us on Facebook, then message us your photo
- Email us your picture at email@example.com
Get your photos posted by Thursday, September 25 at noon to be considered for club’s photo gallery, which features the prize-winning photo and all our club entires.