We’re in the middle of strawberry season and have been using use juicy summer berries as much as we can! So what could be better for our next challenge than in these flaky, buttery scones? These treats are the perfect sweet for brunches, picnics or any time (and they’re sooo easy to make).
For this challenge, the lucky winner with the best photo submission will receive three cookbooks! Vegetarian for a New Generation (featured in our August issue), by Liana Krissoff, Dirty Food by Carol Hiker and The Meat Hook Meat Book, by Tom Mylan.
Click here for contest rules and regulations.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, coarsely grated
- 2/3 cup 10% cream, plus more if needed
- 454-g tub strawberries, diced, about 2 2/3 cups, divided
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- STIR flour with 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork, mix in grated butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cream and half of berries until dough just comes together. Add more cream, 1 tbsp at a time, if needed. Do not over-mix.
- SCOOP 1/4 cup of mixture for each portion and shape into 1-in.-high round scones. Set on prepared baking sheet.
- BAKE in centre of oven until tops are golden, 15 to 17 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- COMBINE remaining 1/4 cup sugar and half of berries with zest in a small saucepan and set over medium-high. Cook, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved and berries are soft, about 15 min. Serve warm with scones.
How to post your pic?
Once you have your photo, you can post it one of four ways (make sure you’re not on a private setting):
- Follow us on Instagram, then post your photo using @ChatelaineKitchen
- Follow us on Twitter, then tweet us your photo with the hashtag #ChatelaineKitchen
- Like us on Facebook, then message us your photo
- Email us your picture at email@example.com
Get your photos posted by Thursday, July 24 at noon to be considered for the club’s gallery the following day, which will be featured with the following week’s recipe.