In the mood for something sweet? Let’s beat the winter blues with these adorable little baked doughnuts. They’re the perfect, not-so-guilty pleasure to satisfy any sweet tooth and are so simple to make. Top them with a thin glaze, your choice of sprinkles, and watch them disappear, double-time.
But wait, there’s more. Now the Chatelaine Cooking Club comes with prizing!
The best photo of these adorable mini baked doughnuts, as chosen by our kitchen, will receive a Green & Black’s prize pack, including 12 chocolate bars and their Ultimate Chocolate Recipes cookbook. Yay!
Click here for contest rules and regulations.
Mini baked doughnuts
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Makes: 28 doughnuts and 28 holes
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 8-g pkg quick-rise yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp sprinkles
- MICROWAVE milk until warm, about 1 min. Pour into bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook. Add yeast and stir. Let stand until foamy, about 10 min.
- SPRAY a medium bowl with oil. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment. Lightly spray with oil.
- ADD granulated sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and salt to yeast mixture and beat on medium until combined. Gradually add flour, increasing speed to medium-high, until dough forms a ball and pulls away cleanly from the sides and bottom of the bowl, about 7 min. (Stand mixer may move around the counter during beating.)
- TRANSFER dough into oiled bowl. Lightly oil top of dough and cover with a damp tea towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour.
- ROLL out dough on a floured surface until 1/2 in. thick. Cut into 28 rounds using a 2-in. round cookie cutter. Then use a 1-in. round cutter to cut out holes from centre of rounds. Transfer doughnuts and holes to prepared baking sheets. Cover with damp tea towels and let stand until double in size, about 45 min.
- STIR icing sugar with water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Bake doughnuts in centre of oven, 1 batch at a time, until golden, about 10 min. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 10 min.
- STIR icing sugar mixture. Dip tops of doughnuts into glaze. Top with sprinkles before glaze dries.