Spring is here! This week we’re taking a cue from the modern brunch spread in our April issue, and challenging everyone to make savoury tartlets (one of our favourite new ways to start the day). So, whether you hurriedly pop one in your mouth, or savour them as part of a lavish Sunday spread, don’t forget to take a photo for us before they disappear.
But wait, there’s more. Now the Chatelaine Cooking Club comes with prizing!
The winner with the best photo, as chosen by our kitchen, will win two great cookbooks! Paris to Provence: Childhood Memories of Food and France, by Ethel Brennan and Sara Remington, and a copy of Classico e Moderno: Essential Italian Cooking by Michael White and Andrew Friedman. Yay!
Click here for the contest rules and regulations.
- 12 slices white bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 12 small eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- PREHEAT oven to 375F. Cut out 12 5 × 5-in. squares of parchment. Press a parchment square into each cup of a 12-cup muffin pan, or spray with oil.
- CUT the crusts off bread slices. Use a rolling pin to flatten slices, then press slices into prepared cups to make shells. Spray tops with cooking spray. Toast in centre of oven, 5 to 7 min.
- MELT butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and brown, 12 to 15 min. Stir in maple syrup and spinach. Cook until spinach wilts, 1 to 2 min. Spoon some spinach mixture into each bread shell, sprinkle sun-dried tomatoes over spinach, and crack an egg on top. Season with salt and fresh pepper.
- BAKE in centre of oven until egg whites are set but yolks are runny, 15 to 18 min.
How to post your pic?
Once you have your photo, you can post it one of four ways (make sure you’re not on a private setting):
- Follow us on Instagram, then post your photo using @ChatelaineKitchen
- Follow us on Twitter, then tweet us your photo with the hashtag #ChatelaineKitchen
- Like us on Facebook, then message us your photo
- Email us your picture at email@example.com
Get your photos posted by Thursday, April 3 at noon to be considered for the club’s gallery the following day, which will be featured with the following week’s recipe.