Summertime is just around the corner, and that means berry season! To celebrate, we’re pulling out one of our most popular recipes so far this year: Who knew that a 20-minute cake would garner such raves? Packed with sweet raspberries and tart cranberries, an easy whiskey-butter sauce gets poured over the warm-from-the-oven cake, making for a spoonable delight, any night of the week. Find our cooking club pics from our vanilla pink ombré cake challenge here.
Now show us your baking prowess. Create the cake, then post your photos so that we can all oooh and ahhh.
Bushberry pudding cake
- 11/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 170g tub raspberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- Whisky-butter sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup 35% cream
- 2 tbsp Canadian whisky
- 1/2 cup 35% cream, whipped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray a 9 × 9-in. baking dish with oil. Set aside.
- Stir flour with baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Beat 2 tbsp butter with 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Add one-third of flour mixture to butter mixture, then add half the milk. Repeat additions, scraping down sides of bowl, until well mixed. Gently stir in berries. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake in centre of oven until cake is lightly golden, about 30 min. Poke cake a few times with a fork and set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup butter with 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cream and whisky in a small saucepan and set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 5 min. Drizzle sauce over warm cake. Let stand for 10 min. Serve warm, topped with whipped cream.
How to post your pic?
Once you have your photo, you can post it one of three ways (make sure you’re not on a private setting):
Follow us on Instagram, then post your photo using @ChatelaineKitchen
Follow us on Twitter, then tweet us your photo with the hashtag #ChatelaineKitchen
Like us on Facebook, then message us your photo
Email us your picture at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get your photos posted by Thursday June 20 (in two weeks) at noon to be considered for the club’s gallery the following day, which will be featured with the next week’s recipe.
Quick photo tips: Don’t use a flash, natural light is best. Just place your plate near a window and shoot away. Don’t bother using props – they’ll detract from the featured food. Overhead is always nice, close-ups work well, and get in close so we can see what’s cookin’! The larger the photo, the better.