Classic spicy Caesar
1. Run a lemon wedge around the rim of a tall glass, then turn it upside down onto a plate of celery salt. Fill glass with ice.
2. Add 1 1/2 oz vodka, 4 dashes of Tabasco, 2 dashes of Worcestershire and the remaining juice from the lemon wedge.
3. Top up with Clamato juice and a generous grinding of pepper. Garnish with another lemon wedge.
Blue cheese chicken wings
1. Slice 12 chicken wings in half at the joint and cut off wing tips.
2. Stir 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 tsp pepper in a bowl. Whisk 1 egg with 1/2 cup blue cheese salad dressing in another bowl. Working with one wing at a time, toss in flour mixture, then egg mixture and finish by lightly coating in flour once more.
3. Pour enough oil into a heavy large pot to reach a depth of 1/2 in. Heat over medium. Add half of wings and cook until deep golden and cooked through, 4 to 5 min per side. Adjust heat as needed. Remove wings to paper towels. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
4. Serve immediately with more blue cheese dressing on the side.
Kitchen tip: To check the temperature of the oil, try this trick: Put a bamboo skewer or wooden chopstick into the oil, making sure it touches the bottom of the pot. If the oil fizzes up gently around the chopstick, it’s ready to go.