To celebrate our 85th Anniversary, our kitchen hit the archives for a taste of the headline-making trends from the past 85 years. Inspired, we whipped, flipped and remixed our faves.
For this Then and Now remake, we turned a melon and shrimp cocktail from the 1970s into a crunchy, zesty, fresh and lively dish. This modern shrimp starter has it all!
Melon and shrimp cocktail
Shrimp and watermelon tostadas
- 300 g raw shrimp, peeled
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red-hot-chili flakes
- 2 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 corn tostadas
- BOIL a medium pot of water. Add shrimp and cook until pink and firm, about 2 min. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Pat dry, then set aside.
- STIR mayo with sriracha in a small bowl. Stir lime juice with salt and chili flakes in a large bowl. Stir in shrimp, watermelon, avocado, pepper, onion and cilantro.
- TOP tostadas with shrimp mixture. Drizzle with spicy mayo and serve immediately.
Get Chatelaine in your inbox!
Our very best stories, recipes, style and shopping tips, horoscopes and special offers. Delivered every weekday morning.