This month we’re recreating our quick curried crab cakes and making them gluten-free. In our original recipe we use panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs) to give our crab cakes a light, crispy coating. As a gluten-free substitute, we recommend using gluten-free Chex rice cereal (available at most grocery stores). We crushed the cereal to a fine crumb (not powder), and used it exactly as we would panko. The result was a light, crispy coating that doesn’t go soggy when baked!
Gluten-free quick curried crab cakes
Prep 10 min Total 25 min Serves 4
- 2 cups gluten-free Chex rice cereal
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp Thai yellow or red curry paste
- 1/2 tsp hot-chili-garlic sauce
- 440 g chopped fresh or canned crabmeat, about 2 cups
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- POUR cereal in a resealable bag and crush with a rolling pin into small crumbs.
- WHISK mayo with egg, chives, curry paste and chili-garlic sauce in a large bowl. Stir in crab just until combined. Scoop out 1/4 cup of crab mixture, roll in panko and form into a 1-inch-thick cake. Repeat with remaining crab mixture and panko. Arrange cakes on baking sheet 1/2-in. apart. Lightly spray tops with oil.
- BAKE for 20 min. Let stand on baking sheet for 5 min before removing to a large platter. Serve with Tangy Thai Salad.
Nutrition (Per serving)
328 calories, 25 g protein, 13 g carbs, 19 g fat, 743 mg sodium.
Try our panko switch-up in these other Chatelaine recipes: