The sun is shining, the rain has stopped (fingers crossed) and the air has been hot in Toronto. And for me that means that farmers’ market season has begun! Luckily, I live in an area of Toronto where there’s a small local market on Sundays, but there are many around the city that are within biking and walking distance throughout the week. The highlights from Sunday’s market included an abundance of green asparagus (click the link and watch me blanch it) and healthy rhubarb, both in season until the end of June.
Here are some ideas for using sweet, in-season asparagus and rhubarb:
- If you’re firing up the barbecue, throw on a couple spears of fresh asparagus for this delicious and smoky grilled asparagus.
- This easy asparagus and tarragon side dish is a snap to prepare and serve with a main dish.
- What better way to showcase fresh in-season asparagus than to eat it raw? Trim and peel the skin off your asparagus and serve with this Moroccan hummus.
- Your summer parties will be a hit with these crowd-pleasing appetizers of asparagus salmon rolls and caramelized onion tart with asparagus.
- Rhubarb, a red and green vegetable resembling celery, is tangy and pairs well with sweet fruits. Serve this rhubarb and berry compote over ice cream or waffles (or both!).
- Make a rustic creamy rhubarb custard pie for a weeknight dessert or afternoon tea. Use ready-made pie crust, or try our easy perfect pastry dough.
- These pretty raspberry rhubarb pavlova cupcakes will star at your summer garden party.
- Cool down the hot summer nights with a sweet and tangy scoop of strawberry rhubarb granita or a refreshing glass of rhubarb spritzer.
Look for a farmers’ market near you (across Canada) with this market finder!