Earthy mushrooms pan-fried with a spritz of balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs make a perfect starter for a dinner party. Use a variety of fancy mushrooms or common button mushrooms.
Warm fall mushroom salad
This article has not been rated yet.
- 500 g mixed mushrooms , such as oyster, portobello and shiitake, about 7 cups
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chives , or sliced green onions
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup crumbled Stilton , or goat cheese (optional)
- Trim off and discard any dirt-covered stem ends from oyster mushrooms. Slice off and discard stems from portobello and shiitake mushrooms. Slice portobellos into thick strips. Slice large shiitake and oyster mushrooms in half but leave small ones whole. Before cooking mushrooms, mince garlic and measure out vinegar. Snip chives. Arrange spinach on 4 salad plates.
- Heat oil in a large, wide frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and all of mushrooms. Stir constantly just until mushrooms soften, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper, then remove from heat. Immediately spoon over spinach. Sprinkle with chives and thyme. Dress it up with crumbled Stilton or goat cheese, if you wish.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3.8 g,
- 9 g,
- 13.9 g,
- 2.7 g,
- 191 mg.