This highly flavoured entrée is a great way to introduce tofu into your diet.
Spinach and pepper stir-fry
- 350 g extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 284-g pkg or 1 to 2 bunches regular or baby spinach
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp capers
- Cut drained tofu into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes. In a small mixing bowl, stir lemon juice with cornstarch. Then add tofu and toss until evenly coated. Let sit, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 1 hour so lemon flavour permeates tofu.
- Thinly slice onion. Seed and slice peppers into thin strips. If using regular spinach, remove and discard stems. Tear leaves into halves or quarters. Leave baby spinach whole, including tender stems. You should have about 7 cups (1.75 L). Have all vegetables prepared and ingredients measured before beginning to stir-fry.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok set over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and chili flakes. Stir 1 minute. Add peppers and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue stir-frying until peppers are hot, about 2 minutes.
- Add tofu and gently stir-fry until hot, about 1 minute. Add capers, then spinach in handfuls as needed, stirring until all spinach has wilted, about 1 more minute. Serve right away over hot rice.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11.7 g,
- 13.4 g,
- 12.4 g,
- 3.4 g,