Tips: Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until peas and pork are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Continue with recipe as above.
Slow-simmered split pea soup
4 hrs 16 min
Imagine coming home to a big batch of heartwarming pea soup, without turning on the stove. Now that's a comforting thought! Just pull out the slow cooker and the rest is easy. It's worth it to use the smoked pork hock - it adds extra layers of flavour.
- 450-g pkg dried green split peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 3 celery stalks , thickly sliced
- 3 carrots , sliced
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 500 g smoked pork hock , about 1 lb
- 2 tsp Chipotle Tabasco sauce , optional
- Rinse peas with water. Drain well, then place in the bowl of a slow cooker (or see Stovetop directions, below). Pour in broth and water. Stir in celery, carrots, onion, Italian seasoning and bay leaves. Add pork hock.
- Cover and cook until pork is tender and falling off the bone, 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Discard bay leaves. Place pork on a cutting board. Remove and discard skin, fat and bones. Cut meat into chunky pieces.
- To thicken soup, whirl one-third in a food processor, then return to slow cooker. Add pork and stir to evenly mix. Taste and stir in Tabasco. Soup will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 29 g,
- 2 g,
- 4 g,
- 619 mg.