Stir-fries can be one of the best and healthiest, fast family dinners. Buying precut veggies and bottled Oriental sauce slashes prep time.
This article has not been rated yet.
- 284-mL can condensed chicken broth , or 1 cup chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 500 g boneless sirloin , at least 1-in. thick
- 1 medium red onion , or cooking onion
- 10 large button mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers , any colour
- 4 green onions
- 284-mL can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , optional
- In a medium-size bowl, stir broth with hoisin, chili-garlic sauce and sesame oil. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch with orange juice until dissolved, then stir into broth mixture. Slice beef across the grain into thin bite-size strips. Cut red onion in half lengthwise, then place cut-side down and slice each half into thick strips. Thickly slice mushrooms. You should have about 2 cups (500 mL) mushrooms. Core and seed peppers, then slice into strips. Thinly slice green onions, if using. Then drain water chestnuts.
- Place a large wok or wide frying pan with deep sides over high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) oil. Add beef and stir-fry just until it loses its red colour, no more than 2 minutes. Remove beef to a dish. Add remaining oil to wok, then add red onion and mushrooms. Stir-fry just until mushrooms become golden-tinged, about 2 minutes. Add peppers and water chestnuts. Stir-fry 2 more minutes.
- Stir broth mixture to make sure cornstarch has not separated, then add to stir-fry along with beef and any juices that have accumulated in dish. Continue to stir until broth mixture boils and thickens and there is no taste of raw cornstarch, about 3 minutes. Taste and cook 1 more minute if you detect any chalky consistency in sauce. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Sprinkle in green onions, if you like. Serve over rice or Asian noodles.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 31.2 g,
- 36.3 g,
- 14 g,
- 4.9 g,
- 870 mg.