Sausage stuffing with water chestnuts
1 h 10 min
- 675 g loaf sliced white bread , crusts removed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 Italian sausages , meat removed from casings
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery , including leaves
- 280-mL can water chestnuts , drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 350F. Slice bread into 1-in. cubes. It should measure about 10 cups. Spread out on 2 large baking sheets. Toast in oven, stirring occasionally, rotating and switching sheets halfway through, until golden and dry, about 10 min. Transfer to a large bowl. Reduce heat to 325F.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high. Add oil, then sausage meat. Using a fork, break up meat until crumbly. Cook, stirring often, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 min. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, celery, chestnuts, butter and salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring, until onion is soft, about 5 min. Season with pepper. Stir into toasted bread. Transfer to a large baking dish. Drizzle with broth.
- Bake in bottom of oven, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 30 min.
Make Ahead Tip
Stuffing can be made a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate before baking for up to 1 day.
To bake stuffing at same time as turkey, position 2 racks in lower part of oven. Bake stuffing below turkey.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 31 g,
- 19 g,
- 2 g,
- 809 mg.